Omate is today launching their latest wearable, the Omate X, a much more fashionable looking and aesthetically attractive smart watch than its predecessor the TrueSmart, which was designed specifically for outdoor pursuits. The Omate X is based on the latest Aster wearable platform from MediaTek, sports a Sapphire Glass panel, 7 days battery life and will be available for only $129.
The first thing that strikes you about the Omate X is that it looks much more like a regular wrist watch. At only 11mm thin, and supporting regular 22mm strap, it really is closer to standard wrist watch form factor than we are used to seeing on an Android and iOS compatible wearable. The front face is a 240 x 240 pixel 1.54 inch TFT panel with Sapphire Glass coating which looks very impressive.
The Omate offers simple smart watch companion functionality with push notifications for calls, social media updates, messages and reminders. Inside you are also getting 3-axis accelerometer / gyroscope, loud speaker and a dedicated USB charging port. CEO Le Pan had this to say:
The TrueSmart was designed for the 10% of your time during of which you partake in outdoor activities. Now, the Omate X will take care of the other 90%. It will allow you to enjoy all the perks of a companion smartwatch without having to sacrifice your style. More than a smartwatch, the Omate X is a fashion statement.
The Omate X has clearly been co-developed with MediaTek, not only running the new Aster processor platform from MediaTek, but also the company’s LinkIt development platform. Aster and LinkIt are two elements of the MediaTek wearables package. Together mimicking what the company is famous for doing with phone product development, offering a more complete software and hardware package that accelerates development cycles and makes it much easier for companies to bring products to market. The Omate X smart watch is one of the first products based on Aster and LinkIt.
The MediaTek Aster platform arrives in the form of the MT2502, touted as the smallest system-on-chip ever at 5.4mm x 6.2mm x 1mm and uses an ARM7EJ-S RISC processor plus Bluetooth 4.0. Omate claim the Omate X will last a week without needing to be charged. The LinkIt platform will offer app, algorithms and driver updates over-the-air.
The Omate will be available for pre-order for $129 USD from September 1st to September 30th through www.omate.com Early bird orders get a Limited Edition number from 1-1000 engraved.