The Moto X is an awesome smartphone with good specs, outstanding performance, unparalleled customizability and unique features. It won’t always be your favorite, though, and a time to upgrade will eventually come. You will want to perform a factory reset before handing it over to the next owner.
A factory data reset completely wipes your device, deleting all files and traces that you ever used it. It will literally be the same way it was (software-wise) when you first turned it on. It will give the next owner a fresh start and will keep your private information away from his/her hands.
Before anything, though, you should make sure you have all your important files backed up. This process will delete all files in your phone. And don’t forget to have your phone plugged in or have enough battery charge for the process to finish without the phone dying on you. That is usually not good news.
With that out of the way, we have two ways of performing a factory data reset: a hard reset and a soft reset. The former is used when the phone’s software can’t be accessed for any reason. A soft reset, on the other hand, is simple and it only involves using the phone’s settings.
How to soft reset a Moto X
- Turn your phone on and unlock the screen.
- Access the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap on “Backup & reset”.
- Tap on “Factory date reset”.
- Select “Reset phone”.
- Let the phone do its thing. It will restart once it’s done.
How to hard reset a Moto X
- Turn the phone off.
- When off, press and hold the Volume Down button for 2-3 seconds. Then press the power button and release.
- The device will display different booting options.
- Use the Volume Down button to scroll to “Recovery” and press Volume Up button to select.
- The device should display a Motorola logo, as well as the Android in Distress image.
- Press and hold Volume Up for 10-15 seconds.
- While still holding the Volume Up button, press and release the Power button.
- From here, you can use the Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Select “Wipe data / factory reset”.
- Select “YES – delete all user data”.
- Once the formatting is complete, press the Power button to confirm a reboot.