The Moto G is one of the most popular smartphones in the world, as well as one of the most successful devices Motorola has ever manufactured. With that in mind, we know many of you will be needing a factory reset guide in the future.
You want to make sure you perform a factory data reset before you hand a device to it’s next owner. It’s also often a good solution for solving device issues, as it completely wipes the device to factory settings. After doing this, the device will literally be the same way it was when you first turned it on (at least software-wise).
It will give the next owner a fresh start while keeping your files and private details away from his hands. Don’t forget this will delete everything in your phone, though, so backing up your important files is also important. Also don’t forget to make sure your phone is plugged in or has enough charge for the process to complete without the device dying.
With that out of the way, you can go ahead and perform a factory reset using two methods: either a soft reset and a hard reset. A soft reset is the easiest and recommended way to do this, as it simply uses the phone’s settings. If you can’t access your phone settings for any reason, your best bet is to perform a hard reset.
How to soft reset a Moto G
- Turn your phone on and unlock the screen.
- Access the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap on “Backup & reset”.
- Tap on “Factory date reset”.
- Select “Reset phone”.
- Let the phone do its thing. It will restart once it’s done.
How to hard reset a Moto G
- Turn off the phone.
- While off, press and hold the Volume Down button for 2-3 seconds, then press the Power button and release.
- The device will display different booting options.
- Use the Volume Down button to scroll to “Recovery” and press Volume Up button to select.
- The phone should display a Motorola logo, as well as the Android in Distress image.
- Press and hold Volume Up for 10-15 seconds.
- While still holding the Volume Up button, press and release the Power button.
- From here, you can use the Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Select “Wipe data / factory reset”.
- Select “YES – delete all user data”.
- Once the formatting is complete, press the Power button to confirm a reboot.