The Moto E offers one of the best deals in the smartphone market. It is super affordable and comes with specs that make it quite a capable phone. We know many of you will be buying this little guy, which also means you will be getting rid of it at some point.
When the time comes for you to hand over that Moto E to your next owner, you better make sure you perform a factory data reset. This process will completely wipe your device, deleting all files and traces that you ever used it. It will literally be the same way it was when you first turned it on (software-wise, of course).
This will keep your files and information off the new user’s hands, but it’s also important to keep in mind some of that data is important. Don’t forget to do a backup. Oh, and make sure your phone is plugged in or has enough charge to go through the whole process without dying. That usually isn’t good news.
With that in mind, let’s go over the two ways to perform a factory data reset. You can either do a soft reset or a hard reset. The former can be done by simply accessing the phone’s settings. Sometimes that is not possible, though. If the phone isn’t working or for some reason you can’t access the settings, you can go ahead and perform a hard reset using the hardware buttons.
How to soft reset a Moto E
- Turn your phone on and unlock the screen.
- Go to the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap on “Backup & reset”.
- Tap on “Factory data reset”.
- Select “Reset phone”.
- Let the phone do its thing. It will restart once done.
How to hard reset a Moto E
- Turn the phone off.
- When off, press and hold the Volume Down button for 2-3 seconds. After that, press the Power button and release.
- The device will display different boot options.
- Use the Volume Down button to scroll to “Recovery” and press Volume Up button to select.
- The phone should display a Motorola logo, followed by the Android in Distress image.
- Press and hold Volume Up for 10-15 seconds.
- While holding the Volume Up button, press and release the Power button.
- You can now use the Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Select “Wipe data / factory reset”.
- Select “YES – delete all user data”.
- Once the formatting is complete, press the Power button to confirm a reboot.