Are you selling your old iPhone or iPad? Maybe you are giving it away or it is having problems. Regardless of the situation, there comes a period in every device’s life when a factory reset is completely necessary. This process makes sure the device is completely wiped of apps or files, taking it back to the way it was when it was turned on for the very first time.
In this tutorial we will show you all the steps for factory resetting an iOS device (iPhone or iPad). It’s a relatively simple process, but there is no direct guide for it. Not to mention, there are multiple ways of going about this.
Do remember to keep your device plugged in, or make sure it has enough battery power to go through the whole process without dying. You don’t want a device to die in mid wiping, as it can bring complications. Aso make sure to back up all important files, because they will be deleted.
How to factory reset iOS device via settings
This is probably the easiest way to take care of business. Your iOS devices have a native way of performing a wipe, which is accessible straight from the settings!
- Turn device on and unlock it.
- Go to the Settings app.
- Tap on the “General” section.
- Scroll down until you find “Reset” and select it.
- You can go ahead and choose what you want to clear. For a full wipe select “Erase All Content and Settings”.
- Confirm you wish to continue.
- Give your device some time and it will take care of everything.
How to factory reset iOS device via iTunes
- Connect your iOS device to your computer.
- Open iTunes.
- Select the iOS device you wish to factory reset.
- Once the device is selected, a summary section will appear.
- Click on “Restore iPhone”.
- Confirm that you wish to continue and wait for the device to do its thing.
How to factory reset unresponsive iOS device
Now, there are times when the above procedures are simply not an option. This usually happens when a device is unresponsive, and there is a way to factory reset such iPhones or iPads.
- Turn your device off.
- Press and hold the home button and plug the device into your computer while still holding it.
- This will put the device in recovery mode, which iTunes will detect.
- Select the device and press the “Restore iPhone” button.
- A window will appear, press “Restore and update”.
- iTunes will do its thing, and after some time the process will be done.