Are you ready to sell your HTC One M8 and want to wipe it? Maybe you simply have some issues. A factory reset is often all you need to make the problems go away, as it clears everything and leaves the phone the way it was the day you purchased it.
In this tutorial we will show you how to factory reset your HTC One M8 in two ways: via software and hardware. Make sure to back up important files. Factory resetting your smartphone will delete everything in it, except for the stock software.
Before anything, remember to keep your phone plugged in or make sure it has enough battery to go through the whole process! This applies for both soft and hard resets. When you are ready to take care of business, you can let us guide you through the process.
How to soft reset an HTC One M8
This is the best route if your phone is in working condition and you can access all your settings. Soft resetting your HTC One M8 is a very simple process and should have no dangers.
- Turn on your HTC One M8 and unlock it.
- Go to the Settings app and open it.
- Scroll down and tap on “Backup & reset”.
- Tap on “Reset phone”.
- You can select whether you want to “Erase all data” or “Erase SD card”. The first only erases content in your phone, while the latter erases only content in your microSD card.
- Make your selections and press “OK”.
How to hard reset an HTC One M8
Hard resetting your phone implies using your hardware keys to complete the process. This is usually done when the phone has issues or can’t turn on. Some people may also prefer it over soft resetting, though. Either way, it works just as well.
There is one thing to keep in mind. This can’t be done in the HTC One M8 if the “Fast boot” option is selected under the “Power” section in your settings.
- Turn your HTC One M8 off.
- Press and hold “volume down”, followed by the power button.
- Keep holding the buttons until the screen with 3 Android images appears.
- Let go of the buttons.
- Using the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select, choose “Factory reset”.
Forgetting your unlock password or pattern
This is a bit of a hidden security feature in the HTC One M8. This smartphone factory resets itself and deletes all data if you fail to unlock the screen 10 times. Just put in the wrong pattern or password 10 times and you are set!