Getting ready to buy a new device or wipe your current one? We know how much of a pain it is to have to manually get all your apps, fix your settings and go through the whole process of setting up your smartphone. It doesn’t have to be so horrible, though. Your life will be much easier if you simply backup your Windows Phone!
Did you know Windows Phone offers a native way to backup your apps, settings, text messages, photos and videos? It’s actually the easiest mobile OS to back up, as it is done wirelessly and can even be automated. All your information gets sent to the cloud (OneDrive).
Backup your Windows Phone
Because this is meant to be a more permanent solution, Windows Phone backups work a little different. This function is divided in three sections: apps + settings, text messages and photos + video.
- Swipe over to the App List.
- Find the Settings app and open it.
- Access “Backup”.
- Go through your sections of choice and switch your desired toggles on.
From this setting you can also tap “back up now” to take care of business immediately. You can also hit “Manage backups” to see other options about automatic backups and other features.
We recommend you use a WiFi connection, or else your data will wither away. Unless you have unlimited data, in which case it’s up to you.
Restore your Windows Phone
It’s even easier to restore your new device! Just follow the steps below and you will be ready to go in no time.
- When setting up your new device, sign in with the same Microsoft account you used to create the backup.
- You will be prompted to restore your phone. Tap on the backup of choice and hit “Next”.
- If asked to verify your account, simply follow the steps.
- After waiting for the process to finish, hit “Next”.
- Enter passwords for restored accounts.
- Hit “Next” and then “Done”.