At the Global Analyst Summit 2021, rotating Chairman Eric Xu highlighted the need to rebuild trust and restore cooperation across the global semiconductor supply chain to bring the industry back on track and avoid rising prices.
Xu called on global leaders to focus on the potential risks of trade restrictions, arguing these disrupted trust in the industry, with more countries worrying about supply chain security.
“In the coming years, higher costs for the semiconductor industry is something we’re pretty sure of. The unwarranted US sanctions undermined our company,” he said, noting the damage has been felt across the sector.
“I hope they can help restore trust and cooperation as soon as possible.”
Huawei has had to switch gears from dominating 5G and the consumer technology ecosystem thanks to a the US-China trade war. William Xu, board member and president of the Huawei Institute for Strategic Research, discussed societal challenges for the next decade, including the aging population and increasingly high energy consumption. He followed with Huawei’s outlook on the smart world of 2030, including nine technological challenges and suggested directions for research efforts. These include:
1) Definition of 5.5G to support hundreds of billions of different types of connections
2) Developing nano-optics for an exponential increase in fiber capacity
3) Optimizing network protocols to connect all things
4) Providing advanced computing power strong enough to support the smart world
5) Extracting knowledge from vast Amount of data to achieve breakthroughs in industrial AI
6) Overcoming the von Neumann architecture for 100 times denser storage systems
7) Combining computers and sensors for a multimodal hyper-reality experience
8) Enabling people to improve their health continuously monitor yourself based on personal vital parameters
9) Building a Smart Internet of Energy for the Generation, Storage and Consumption of Greener Electricity
“In the coming decade,” said William Xu, “we can expect many great improvements in society. We hope to work together to advance these efforts with different industries, universities, research institutes and application developers to address the universal challenges of humanity. With a common vision we all have a role to play in exploring how we can make connections stronger, computers faster and energy greener. Let’s move forward together on the way to a smart world in 2030.”
Huawei is doubling down on Automotive, we have another article here detailing the three partnerships that were announced.